Hopefully, November and December has been a busy month for your essential oil business! Between Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and all the holiday shopping, the holidays can be the busiest time of the year for small business owners.
As you acquire more customers, begin to think about utilizing the time between Christmas and New Year’s as a way to offer great customer service and care. Why is this a prime time to reach out to your customers? Many of them are experiencing a post-holiday letdown (the hustle and bustle of Christmas is over!), most are off of work and at home, and gearing up to the New Year, many are thinking about their goals and any new habits or transitions they want to make in their life. Some even have extra money given to them as a gift (or left over from returns!) that they want to spend. This is a great time to touch base with them about the oils they have purchased, learn more about their goals for incorporating essential oils in their life, and give them the value YOU bring to them as their friend and consultant.
In case you are wondering…”Why would they want to hear from me? What do I have to offer them?” The answer is – TONS! Have a couple of blend suggestions ready to go, and have your essential oil guide nearby when you call your customers so you can answer any questions quick and easily. Even if they have not yet received their oils, you can share your excitement with them for the step they are taking towards health & wellness, ask them how their holiday went, and make a plan to get together or call once their oils arrive. You might be suprised to learn that some customers have not even opened their oils yet because they are a little overwhelmed! You can help guide them and give them some easy tips for getting started; walk them through the process right on the phone, or schedule a make-and-take class in the comfort of their own home.
Aside from simply talking to them about oils, some people are looking for more income possibilities this time of year. With your essential oil business, you have an opportunity to offer that could help them bring in a little extra spending cash and promote positive change in their life! Don’t pre-judge and don’t count anyone out – you never know who might be interested in learning more.
I know that it is much easier to hop on Facebook and chat with customers, or send an email, BUT, if you have a phone number, please make this more personal! It can be scary to get on the phone, but building relationships with your customers will go a long way. So set aside some time this week to make phone calls, going back to customers even as far as a couple of months back. Put a big smile on your face as you call and/or leave a message, so they will HEAR your enthusiasm and begin to associate you (a real person!) as their essential oil guru!
Not sure what to say? Here are a couple of suggestions to get the conversation started:
- Hi Katie! I was thinking of you and wanted to call to wish you happy holidays. Do you have time to chat?
- I want to make sure you are happy with the oils you ordered. What has been your favorite oil? Which one do you use the most?
- Are there any oils you haven’t tried that you have questions about? Do you need samples of anything?
- Are you familiar with the current monthly specials?
- I have some big goals for this year, and am finding that lots of my other customers do too. Have you shared about essential oils at all with any of your friends or family?
- This is a great time of year to have some “girl time” to relax and learn some new things. I have a goal to book 4 make & take classes this month, would you be interested in hosting one and earning some free gifts from me?
- I’m hosting an Oils 101 class on the 10th and one on the 18th; which of those dates might you be interested in attending?
- (if they are NOT interested in sharing) Who else do you know that might be interested in some free samples/extra income/etc? ASK FOR A REFERRAL!
- If you have any questions at all or if there is any way I can help, let me know!
ACTION PLAN (WHAT TO DO NEXT): Set yourself up for a great January!
- Make list of customers you would like to call.
- Schedule a time and place to sit down and actually call your customers 🙂
- Make the call and keep a record of who you talked to, what you discussed, etc. so you can follow up if needed (I recommend printing off a sheet for each customer that you can keep in a binder and take notes on as needed).
Need some extra motivation? We’ve created a 21-Day Challenge sheet to inspire you to outline your contacts and make at least 5 each day for 21 days! Print off your sheet here: 21 day challenge
Here’s to an amazing 2017 for your essential oil business!